Children who have been victims of sexual or mental abuse are often left scarred for life.

While talking about your abuse may be stressful for the first time, I assure you applying for compensation is not. 

I have compiled this complete guide with FAQs. It has all the necessary details you need to know about making a child abuse claim.

This article provides factual information. However, it may pose to be unpleasant as it contains sensitive subjects. 

What qualifies as child abuse?

Any event that harms the well-being of a child is termed as child abuse. 

There are several categories that fall under abuse including: Neglect, physical, or sexual harassment.

How can I claim compensation for child abuse?

There are a number of ways through which you can apply for a compensation claim.

The first step is to find yourself a child abuse solicitor. One who is experienced and has knowledge of the subject.

You might be able to sue the organisation where you were abused. Moreover, you may also be able to sue the individual who abused you.

Furthermore, you may be able to get a criminal compensation order. However, this will only be possible if your abuser was prosecuted before. 

The Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority may help you receive the accommodation you are entitled to. 

An investigation will be carried out. This is a legal procedure where a background check will be made. You could also be required to provide evidence if you have any.

After reviewing your case, your solicitor will apply for a compensation claim. However, if you are under 18, you need an adult to start the process on your behalf.

What should I do in case of child abuse?

If you have witnessed or sustained child abuse, it is important to collect evidences. This could include: pictures, videos, and witnesses. 

We understand this may be difficult. However, it is essential as it may help if you want to make a compensation claim later. 

If you have been abused online, take screenshots. 

You can contact a solicitor to apply for a claim.

What is the compensation amount for physical child abuse?

Physical child abuse claims could vary in amount. 

For an assault resulting in swollen marks, bruises, or pulled hair, you could receive a claim up to £1,000. 

If your injuries have resulted in burn marks, wounds, or lacerations, your compensation could go up to £2,000.

What type of child abuse can I claim compensation for?

Sadly, child abuse is more common than you might think.

You could claim compensation for:

  • Violence or threat to violence
  • Sexual abuse
  • Physical or mental harassment
  • Sexual harassment
  • Molestation
  • Neglect
  • Bullying 
  • Child trafficking
  • Cyber bullying
  • Domestic violence
  • Abuse sustained at: work, church, social services, or at school

How much can I claim for repetitive physical violence?

Your abuse claim could vary on the severity of your injury.

For bruises or minor fractures, you could receive a claim up to £5,500. 

If you have sustained significant injuries, your claim could go up to £8,200.

However, for severe multiple injuries, your compensation increases to £13,500.

The maximum amount of compensation you can claim could go up to £500,000.

Who do I contact for a child assault claim?

You can contact a child abuse solicitor through a legal organisation.

However, if you are under 18, you might want to speak to an adult about it. This is important as they may help apply for a child abuse compensation.

How much compensation claim can I get for sexual abuse?

For non penetrative sexual abuse you may receive a claim between £1,000 to £1,500. This is for acts over clothing.

However, for non penetrative sexual abuse under clothing, your compensation amount could range between £2,000 to £3,300.

You may be entitled to more accommodation depending upon the frequency.

What is the payout for non penetrative sexual abuse?

This may be categorised as oral sexual assault. 

If you have sustained sexual abuse once, your estimated compensation amount could be £3,300.

However, for non penetrative sexual abuse occurring more than once, you could receive an estimated compensation for up to £4,400.

What amount of payout can I get for non consensual sexual abuse?

If you have been a victim of rape, you can make a number of abuse claims. 

For non consensual penile abuse occurred once, your accommodation may go up to £11,000.

However, if you had more than two attackers, your claim may go up to £13,500.

Non consensual abuse for over three years could increase your claim. The accommodation could range between £16,500 to £22,000.

Moreover, if your sexual abuse has caused internal injuries you might receive a claim for up to £22,000. 

How much payout can I get for penetrative non consensual sexual abuse causing psychological damage?

Rape could impair your mental health severely. 

The estimated payout for rape could range between £22,000 to £27,000.

However, if you have severe bodily injuries in addition to psychiatric injuries, your payout could range between £33,000 to £44,000.

If your case is more severe, your payout may increase.

How much can I claim for repetitive sexual abuse?

If you have been a victim of sexual abuse for up to 3 years, you could receive a claim for £6,600.

However, for ongoing abuse over 3 years, your amount could go up to £8,200.

For repetitive sexual abuse leading to internal injuries, you could receive a claim for £22,00.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) 

Can I sue my abuser?

Yes, you may be able to sue your abuser. 

Your solicitor will verify your case and take legal actions against your abuser.

What is the amount of pay out for a child abuse through civil claims?

It is important to understand that civil claims have to be proven in a legal court first.

The accommodation could range between £5,000 to £200,000. This will depend on your individual case. Your solicitor will verify your case and inform you about the compensation you could be entitled to.

Can I sue an organisation for child abuse? 

If you have sustained abuse by a local organisation, you could sue them. 

However, you need to provide evidence to prove your case. This includes: images, medical reports, or witnesses. 

How much accommodation can I get for sexual abuse resulting in mental illness?

Sexual abuse may result in a deteriorated mental health. 

You may be able to receive a compensation ranging between £22,000 to £27,000. However, if your case is more severe, your accommodation could increase.

Who is a litigation friend?

A litigation friend is someone who can apply for a legal claim on behalf of the claimant. 

Moreover, a litigation friend could apply on behalf of someone who is mentally unable to make decisions for themselves.

You may require one if you are under 18. This could be a friend, guardian, or your parents.

How long does a child abuse claim take to process?

It takes approximately 12 to 18 months to complete an application process.

How do I know if I am eligible to make child abuse claim?

If you have been a victim of sexual or physical abuse, you are eligible to make a claim.

The abuse should be reported to the police and investigation must have taken place. The documentations will help you make the claim. 

When can I make a child abuse compensation claim? 

A child abuse compensation should be made within 2 to 3 years of the event.

However, you may receive an exception if you are making a claim for abuse you sustained as a child. In this case, your time limit may increase.

How much claim will I get if the abuser is convicted of the offence?

The maximum amount you could go up to £5,000. 

However, it could also depend on how much the offender can afford to pay.

What are the advantages of a child abuse claim?

A claim could be beneficial in a number of ways. 

I will list down the most significant compensation claims.

  • Loss of earnings

If you have been unable to work due to psychological or physical injuries you can apply for a claim for loss of earnings.

  • Counselling or therapy

You may receive compensation for the psychological injuries you have sustained. This will help reduce future risks of psychiatric injuries.

  • Pain and suffering

You may be able to claim for ongoing symptoms including post traumatic stress disorder through a personal injury claim.

  • Special damages

You could also receive a claim for: medical expenses, medication, and travelling.

To conclude:

It is important you surround yourself with people who could help you through your healing process. 

I would advise, you consult a mental health specialist to prevent yourself from further psychological damage.

For more legal information, it is important you contact a specialist or your solicitor. They could help you resolve queries related to your case in a more pragmatic manner. 

About the author

Scott Nelson

Scott Nelson is a financial services expert, with over 10 years’ experience in the industry, including 6 years in FCA regulated companies. Read more
×Find your best debt solution SEE IF YOU’RE ELIGIBLE