K & A Collections will often contact hundreds, if not thousands of people each and every day about their debt. It’s not pleasant to be on the receiving end of a letter which states that you owe money. Debt issues are a real problem for many people, with many experiencing debt problems which have a huge effect on their day to day lives. In some cases, if you have debts or fines which are unpaid, you may end up on the receiving end of calls or letters from companies such as K & A Collections bailiffs.

If you are contacted by bailiffs, there is no doubt that it can be quite upsetting. However, you need to deal with your debt problems, and the quicker, the better. If you have never had to deal with debt collectors, you probably don’t know where to start. However, there are ways to manage your debt situation and stop the worst from happening to you. Throughout this article, we will look at who K & A Collections are in more detail, what you can do if they visit your home, and the next steps you can take to deal with your debt.

It’s not your fault. Complaints to the Financial Ombudsman have risen this year from 830 to 2,006, so it’s safe to say that you’re not alone.

Deal with your debt today and feel better tomorrow.

Who are K & A Collections?

K & A Collections is a debt collection agency based in Milton Keynes. They are controlled by Adrian Osborn and Karen Beare. They have been trading since December 2012.

They are Certificated Enforcement Agents authorised by Northampton Combined Court.

Artemis House 4a Bramley Road, Mount Farm, Milton Keynes, England, MK1 1PT

Registration Number:

Incorporation Date:

License Granted:

Also Known As:
K & A Collections Limited
K & A Collections Ltd
K & A Collections Group
K & A Collections Bailiffs
K & A Collections Debt Collectors
K & A Collections Debt Collection
K & A Collections Agency

What Is the Reason for the Contact?

If you have never heard of them before, you are probably concerned about whether K & A Collections are a legitimate organisation. We can tell you that they are legitimate, and if you have received a call or letter from them, you should never ignore it. There are a range of potential reasons why they may be trying to reach you. These reasons include:

  • Chasing you up about debts you owe to individuals, businesses or other organisations
  • Tax that you have failed to pay, and tax credit overpayments from HMRC
  • Credit card bills which are unpaid and/or payday loan debts
  • Court fines you have defaulted on.

The debt you owe will usually be with another creditor, such as a bank, and K & A Collections are attempting to deal with on their behalf, either because they have not managed to get in touch with you or you have not been able to pay them. This means that your debt could be with an entirely different company, but K & A Collections are trying to collect it on their behalf. Some of the companies they collect on behalf of, include:

  • Utility companies, including Npower, United Utilities, as well as other gas and electric suppliers
  • Mobile and broadband companies, including O2, Virgin Media and EE
  • Parking tickets and council tax you have outstanding from your local council

K & A Collections often buy the debt in bundles, rather than individually. As a result, they’re not really collecting the debt for the purpose of paying back the original creditors, but instead, they are attempting to collect it for their own interests. They only pay a small amount for the debt, and then they make profit thereafter.

How Can You Stop K & A Collections From Contacting You?

It is often the case that debt collectors like K & A Collections will be extremely persistent. This is understandable, as after all, if they don’t get payment from you, they will lost money. However, the persistent behaviour can lead to threatening and harassing behaviour – even bullying in some cases. You may end up receiving a high volume of calls or letters from the debt collectors, and in some cases, they may even turn up at your house. Of course, you may consider just ignoring them, in the hope that they will get fed up and disappear. You can guarantee that they won’t give up. Instead of ignoring them, you should try to deal with the problem head-on.

Bailiffs like K & A Collections will sometimes be responsible for producing server court documents or to give notices and summons. However, if they do intend to visit your home, they would usually be required to give at least 7 days’ notice of their intentions to visit. You may be able to prevent them from paying a visit to your home and contacting you again by paying or arranging to pay back the debt.

These are some actions the debt collectors are not permitted to do. These include:

  • Sending letters that look like court forms
  • Calling you at unsociable times, such as extremely early or late
  • Contact you at work when you’ve explicitly told them not to
  • Use jargon or technical language in an attempt to confuse you

Take a look at your letters and the company’s website, if you want some more information on how you can contact K & A Collections. If you contact them, it will increase your chances of getting the matter resolved as quickly and effectively as possible. It will also help ensure you don’t end up with any additional costs or having a chap at your door.  

If the debt they’re claiming doesn’t belong to you, you have the right to request that they prove you owe the money and give evidence of the debt. The Financial Conduct Authority’s guidelines have more information on this (see section 7).

Do K & A Collections Have Any Powers?

As they are an enforcement agent/bailiff, K & A Collections do have some legal powers when it comes to getting the debt from you. However, you also have rights, and you should be aware of these and how they affect you.

Bailiffs may visit your home to get the debts you owe, and in some cases, they may even have the power to visit and enter your home and may even take some of your possessions to sell them to get the money back. If you refuse to allow them entry into your home, and you will not agree to pay them, they have the right to take belongings you have from outside, which may even include your vehicle/s.

If you receive a visit from K & A Collections and you advise them that you will be unable to pay them, they may be able to move luxury items from your home. These luxury items may include TVs, games consoles, jewellery and even antiques.

In some instances, including where you have unpaid criminal fines, stamp duty or income tax, bailiffs will be able to force entry to your home, but this would always be as a last resort. If the debts are not these, and just general debts, Bailiffs will not have the right to enter your home in these ways:

  • Forcing past you to gain entry
  • Accessing your home when only vulnerable people are present or those under the age of 16 are home
  • At unsociable times, such as early morning or late evening/night
  • Through the windows or other in other ways apart from the doors

How to Deal with a Visit from K & A Collections Visits?

Unless it is extreme circumstances, you will not be required to let bailiffs into your property. They will probably tell you otherwise and may insist that they can access your property, but this is not true. They will be able to force entry if you have unpaid magistrates court fines or tax debts, but they would need to be able to provide evidence of this. If this is the case, they may go as far as to employ a locksmith to gain entry, but they will not be allowed to break down your door.

The best thing to do if someone from K & A Collections (or any other bailiffs) shows up at your door is to request that they provide you with evidence to support this. They will be required to provide the following:

  • Proof of who they are, which may include an ID card, badge, or certificate
  • Proof of the company they’re representing (in this case, K & A Collections)
  • A clear breakdown of what you owe, including any fees and evidence to support this.
  • Evidence that they are allowed to force entry, such as a warrant or writ

You may ask them to pass these documents to you through the door, so that you can have a look at them. You should check that they are in date and that all your personal details are present, and these are accurate.

If they are not permitted to force entry to your home, you may request that they leave and advise them that you will contact the K & A Collections head office to arrange payment. If the debt is not in your name, you may ask them to leave and you can contact head office to get your name removed from the debt.

Remember, K & A Collections will keep trying to get the debt payments, which means that if you don’t pay the debt, or you are unable to prove that it is not yours, you will still be liable to pay the debt.

What Can You Do if K & A Collections Take Your Goods?

If you have given permission for K & A Collections bailiff to enter your home, they may have already removed your goods to sell, so they can recover the debt. All is not lost though, you may be able to get your goods back.

The simplest way to recover your goods is to either pay or settle the debt before they’ve had the chance to sell them on. The other option you have is to agree on a repayment structure with your creditors, or you can even pay back the goods.

If the K & A Collections enforcement agent has not followed the correct legal procedure, you might be able to get your items back. You can contact Citizens Advice to get more information on this.

How to Deal with Contact by K & A Collections

If you have been contacted by K & A Collections, these are some thing you should do – and some things you shouldn’t!

Speak to them

It is not a particularly wide idea to just ignore the calls or letters you receive from K & A Collections. Ignoring them won’t make the debt suddenly disappear and they will not stop trying to contact you about the unpaid debt. You should also remember that debt collectors, such as K & A Collections may ending up charging you an extra fee for dealing with your debt. These charges includes:

  • Compliance – £75. This is a fee for sending you an enforcement notice, with a request for payment.
  • Enforcement – £235 (or 7.5% over £1500). A fee for having to visit your home or work to get the goods for payment.
  • Sale of goods – £110 (or 7.5% over £1500). This is a fee they charge for removing and selling any goods.

Whether or not this is your debt, you should always respond to their correspondence, as otherwise they may send someone to your home. You should find out if you’re liable for the debt, and then take the necessary action to deal with it.

Find out if this is your debt

If you have received a letter which claims that you owe money, the first thing you should do is find out if it is yours, and if it is correct. If the debt is not yours, it may be a debt from someone who has the same name as you, or who has lived at your address in the past. It could be the case that you have recently paid the money and the letter is wrong, and sent to you by mistake.

If you last made payment more than six years ago or this was the last time you had contact with the creditor, you may not even be required to pay the debt. If you feel that you were hassled or pressured into taking out the debt when you signed the agreement or the creditor failed to undertake suitable affordability checks, you may not need to pay back the debt. This would mean that they failed to find out if you could afford to pay it back.

Take care of the debt

If the debt belongs to you, and it is within the six years, and K & A Collections are able to proof you owe it, you have a responsibility to pay it. If you are financially able to, your best option is to take care of the debt and pay it back. If you do this, it will mean that the company will stop contacting you, and you will be able to carry on with your life, without having to worry about being contacted. You should always ask for a receipt for any payments you make towards the debt.

If you do not have the means to pay the full amount straight away, you have the option of setting up a payment plan to clear the debt. You should speak to K & A Collections and let them know your situation, and how you want to pay back the debt. They will usually allow you to pay it back in installments, while putting a hold on any additional fees or charges.

How to Get Help With K & A Collections

If you need help to deal with the contact you are receiving from K & A Collections, there are various ways you can do is. It is always a good idea to contact them or speak to them as soon as they get in touch. If you do owe the debt, you should make plans to pay it back. If you can’t afford to pay it all back straight away, you can arrange to pay it in installments. You can also get some help in dealing with your debt and these are some ways to do it.

Individual Voluntary Arrangement (IVA)

If you have substantial debt, it may be best to write off some of your debts. In England, Wales and Northern Ireland, you can enter into an IVA, which will combine all your debts into one. The IVA process will allow you to make just one monthly payment towards the outstanding debt, which will usually be at a lower rate. After a set period of time, all of your outstanding debt will be written off.

Debt management

The IVA is not the only option, there are other forms of debt management available, and the best option will depend on your circumstances. You may want to consider debt management plans, consolidation loans, or even bankruptcy. It is worth looking at the different options you have available, and find the one that is best based on your circumstances. You may wish to speak with professional organisations to get a second opinion on which option to go for.

Citizens Advice

If you are worried about dealing with K & A Collections and you are not quite sure how to handle them, or the letters/emails etc you have received from them, you would be able to contact Citizens Advice. They have specialists on hand who will provide you with free advice, and access to resources you might need to deal with the issue.

Formal complaints

If you take a look through the Trustpilot reviews of K & A Collections, you’ll see that there are many people who have had a bad experience with this debt collection agency. You will see a range of negative terms, such as ‘bullies,’ ‘threatening,’ and ‘mistreated,’ as well as many more. If you feel that K & A Collections have also treated you in a disrespectful way, you will have the right to make a formal complaint.

If you want to complain to the bailiff company you can use our free letter template which outlines exactly what you should say.

If K & A Collections don’t respond to your complaint or they fail to do so in a timely manner, you have the right to contact the Financial Ombudsman Service, and take the matter further, if necessary.

K & A Collections – To Conclude

No one would particularly choose to deal with debt enforcement agents such as K & A Collections. The fact is that you do and in this case, you should understand your legal rights and what is expected of you, as well as how to deal with them. It is not a good idea to ignore letters or calls from companies such as K & A Collections, even if you know the debt isn’t yours. It is best to speak to them and be honest and upfront about your financial situation. Should K & A Collections end up visiting your home, you will not have to let the bailiff in unless they can prove they are allowed access by producing a court-certified warrant or writ. You have the right to let the company know that you plan to pay the money directly or contest the claim.


What rights will I have if a bailiff turns up?

Bailiffs only have the right to come to your premises between 6am and 9pm and they are required to give you 7 days notice. They do not have the right to force entry into your home though, and cannot just push their way past you.

Is there a limit to how many times a bailiff can visit?

There is no limit on the number of times a bailiff can visit, however, they must stick to sociable hours, which means they cannot visit before 6am and after 9pm.

Can I refuse entry to the bailiffs?

You can refuse entry, but it is likely that the bailiffs will come back, and they may even have a locksmith in tow.

Will the bailiff break down my door?

Bailiffs are not permitted to break your door down. If they need access, they must use a locksmith. They must also only enter through the door, not the windows or by any other means.

Will bailiffs be able to take my car, even if I need it for work?

Bailiffs can, unfortunately, take your car, even if you need to use it for work. They know that some people try to fool them by parking it on another street. They cannot remove your vehicle is on private property that doesn’t belong to you.


Schedule 12, Tribunals, Courts and Enforcements Act, 2007

Part 1, Regulation 10, Certification of enforcement agents, 2014.

Gov.uk, CPR – Rules and Directions, 2018

About the author

Scott Nelson

Scott Nelson is a financial services expert, with over 10 years’ experience in the industry, including 6 years in FCA regulated companies. Read more